Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Shut the Duck Up!....Mine is named Blanche..

I was reading a blog this morning called Who's Inside Your Head?. Entertaining and insightful. I realized I, too, have an imaginery friend that lives on my shoulder...her name is Blanche. Shut the Duck Up is a 'miserable quacking bad tempered duck very cleverly used as a metaphor for our internal voice'.

Photobucket
Now this t-shirt I should probably get!

My Duck has been around since I was a teenager...we would have long talks in the shower...or sometimes Blanche would be the alter ego that would pop out and become the funniest thing around...quite gregarious she was. My...we did have lots of fun, Blanche and I.

Other times the miserable Duck would start complaining loudly in my head...your hair is a mess, they're probably talking about you, you look ugly in that outfit, why aren't you pretty...I knew it was Blanche and it took me a few years to realize that this 'miserable Duck' was largely up to no good. I discovered that sometimes you don't want to face up to the Duck, you know she made you feel insecure and bad...so that's when I would have a talk in the shower with the Blanche Duck...talking out loud...just seemed to make it more real...I could hear my own voice. This kind of self talk is effective. You never heard a quiet Duck..talk outloud and listen to how you sound. Aaahhh, those were the days.

I wonder what Blanche is doing these days? Haven't seen her in duckades...she was a real pain but actually turned out to be a good friend. I don't say Shut the Duck Up anymore as an internal voice metaphor but do, on occasion, still say shut the duck up!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Wanna tell me if you have a 'miserable quacking bad tempered duck' on your shoulder?

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Peach Dish Art Pottery by Artist Jeanette McDonald Royal Haeger Art Deco Planter Art Pottery
Just an example of a couple of bargains to be found at Supergrannys Treasures

OnlineAuction is hosting a Welcome Home Sale the week of August 2 - 9. Put WHS in the search box during that time to pull up all the extraordinary bargains on sale for that week ONLY. Have fun shopping!

5 comments:

Fleapirates said...

Oh, yeah, she sits on MY shoulder every now and them! ;)

Love your posts, SG!

Anonymous said...

Peach Dish Art Pottery by Artist Jeanette McDonald ...... I just love that pottery..... very very pretty. I am sure the picture doesn't do it justis

Aesthetics48 said...

Peach Dish Art Pottery by Artist Jeanette McDonald ...... very pretty piece of pottery... I can always appreciate art deco

Eileen Williams said...

I LOVE the name, Blanche! I named my first car Blanche because she was a bit of a clunker and I kept her on the dirty side.
Remember the "White Glove" commercials where Blanche would come to some hapless homemaker's house, don her white gloves, and run her fingers over the top of the cabinets? Of course, they always showed what a filthy housekeeper this poor lady was--as if cleaning the tops of your cabinets was the most important thing in life! Talk about one duckie example of "Shut the Duck Up!"

Supergranny said...

Eileen, a car named Blanche...now that's a great name for a car. I did not remember the 'white glove' commercials but you've jogged my memory.

Anyone else reading this should visit Eileens blog "Feisty Side of Fifty-Baby Boomers'..you'll find it to the right in my blog roll. It's great!